Tolkiens Arda – Sveriges stora Tolkienforum

Välkommen till Sveriges stora Tolkienforum! Klicka här för att gå till förstasidan.
Aktuellt datum och tid: tis apr 16, 2024 5:40 am

Alla tidsangivelser är UTC + 1 timme

Ny tråd Svara på tråd  [ 64 inlägg ]  Gå till sida Föregående  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Författare Meddelande
 Inläggsrubrik: Re: Bilbo - Tolkiens bästa bok
InläggPostat: sön aug 26, 2012 2:12 am 
Maia
Användarvisningsbild

Jag råkade hitta en mycket läsvärd krönika om Hobbiten i The Telegraph. Författaren är något så i sammanhanget oväntat som en Tory-politiker och ledamot i Europaparlamentet. Men här pratar han inte politik alls. Rekommenderas!

Daniel Hannan skrev:
I’m not sure that we properly appreciate The Hobbit as children. We enjoy the story, obviously, and the pace, and the characters. But only now, reading the book to my eight-year-old, am I touched by the pulse of the prose.

It is a book written to be read aloud. Tolkien understood the power of incantation: the way in which, as Philip Pullman puts it, reciting a fine poem makes you feel as if you were voicing words of power, chanting a spell. The story is filled with songs which follow the strict rules on metre and alliteration of the Old English verses which Tolkien loved, and whose force cannot be properly felt unless the lines are vocalised:

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep where dark things sleep
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

InläggPostat: tis okt 30, 2012 10:27 pm 
Maia
Användarvisningsbild

Tom Shippey, välbekant Tolkien-kännare och författare till bland annat böckerna J. R. R. Tolkien: Author of the Century och The Road to Middle-earth, har skrivit en trevlig artikel apropå 75-årsdagen av att The Hobbit först publicerades (vilket var i förra månaden). Artikeln funderar över vad det egentligen är som gör den boken så bra och så framgångsrik. Rekommenderad läsning!

The Hobbit: What has made the book such an enduring success?

Tom Shippey skrev:
Anyone could have told Tolkien this is not kids’ stuff. Nor, for instance, is the death of Thorin Oakenshield. An American lady told me once that she read the whole book to her sons, aged seven and ten, and when they got to this scene, she saw the tears rolling down their cheeks. Until JK Rowling started producing 700-pagers, publishers used to say that children’s books had to be short nowadays, because the kids’ attention spans were also short.

They were wrong. Just as she brought back length, so Tolkien boldly, or maybe unthinkingly, brought back emotional depth.

Tom Shippey skrev:
Politically correct, of course, The Hobbit was not and still isn’t. One of its most attractive characters — in a way — is Beorn. It’s perfectly clear that he is a were-bear, and his manners are frankly bearish. He’s also, and this is a feature borrowed from Norse sagas, not someone to hang around with once evening comes on.

Tom Shippey skrev:
He was good at landscapes, too. He got the name “Mirkwood” from very old poetry indeed, but his description of it — dark, untrodden, spider-haunted, and above all stiflingly airless, like the long-closed room of a very elderly relative — is one of the great forest pictures of English literature, which has many of them, from Robin’s Sherwood to the stoats’ Wildwood. The Misty Mountains are another borrowing from Norse. And the hobbits’ Shire is now the world’s image of England.

Ni som är bekanta med Shippey sedan tidigare, visste ni förresten att han själv har skrivit skönlitteratur? Det var en nyhet för mig i alla fall. Han har bland annat skrivit en serie kontrafaktiska vikingaromaner tillsammans med Harry Harrison: The Hammer and the Cross. Någon som har läst?

InläggPostat: tis okt 30, 2012 11:08 pm 
Maia
Användarvisningsbild

Trevlig liten artikel! :)

Den stegrande kamelen skrev:
Ni som är bekanta med Shippey sedan tidigare, visste ni förresten att han själv har skrivit skönlitteratur?

Faktiskt kände jag till det. Tror Shippey nämner det i någon artikel om Tolkien. Men jag blev inte så intresserad av att läsa böckerna.

InläggPostat: fre jan 03, 2014 10:02 am 
Noldo

Jag gillar självt mest Hobbiten av alla böckerna, fast det är minn egen åsikt. Jag gillar dvärgar, så att det är rätt självklart.

Visa inlägg nyare än:  Sortera efter  
Ny tråd Svara på tråd  [ 64 inlägg ]  Gå till sida Föregående  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Alla tidsangivelser är UTC + 1 timme